Saturday, November 27, 2010

fragility.....

Earlier today I took Dad to Asda and then to Sainsburys. In the car between the two stores, as we were chatting, Dad said  'do you know, just lately, I feel really really old.....' and then he sighed and looked so forlorn I decided that joking would be the way to go, and reminded him of who he was, where he lived and that he should keep doing the crossword to ward off the dementia...he chuckled and we carried on.
My parents always ask me as I leave them to ring them once I return home. I know. I am not 12 and sometimes forget and then they are anxious. So I ring. Dad sounded strange...sort of scared and upset...he thought he had left his card at the till in Asda....I told him not to panic, that I would ring Asda........as I am on the phone to the very nice customer service people there, I can tell that he is trying to ring me again.....he has found it....he is relieved and apologetic....no worries...all is well etc., but I suspect this evening he will feel even worse than he did this morning......

5 comments:

Marcheline said...

You are a good daughter, and a good daughter goes a long way in making parents feel better. Your being there to call when they've lost (or think they've lost) something is an anchor, a security for them. Just be there, and keep on. You're doing a great job.

Steve said...

When we are feeling a little low or unsure it doesn't take much to know us off balance. But to be honest I feel like your dad somedays and am always forgetting stuff or leaving it lying around and I'm only 41!

auntiegwen said...

I am perpetually losing my keys and purse, you dad does brilliantly xxx

Olga said...

For me, the whole concept of aging is very sad.

libby said...

Sometimes I wish I could see my parents as they were in their youth. Ageing is scary but everyday above ground is good....