Friday, October 1, 2010

giving it a go....

Ever joined something you wish you maybe hadn't joined? I am slightly wobbly about my recent new activity. Only second week in but already there is anxiety, puzzlement, weird noise. I don't know where I am supposed to stand. Sometimes I just feign the 'ooooohhhs and aaaahhhhss'....wonder if it fools them?
They speak a strange language, that I struggle to understand. My friend from work, who with a smile on her face said it would be fun and ' there is no audition, you don't have to read music and of course you can sing' might not have been telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
I have joined a choir. Have wanted to for years, but don't read music, don't really know if I am soprano, alto, tenor or bass?!?  and am terrified that the conductor is going to spread her hands then lift one to her ear and point my way saying  'you ... making that terrible noise at the back...please leave...'.
We had sheets of music paper this week...you know that stuff that to me just sits on pianos and has black and white lines and squiggly bits on it....and she kept saying things like ' so at that D or E or C return to bar 17 for an accent on that long note....'. I thought she had slipped into Serbo Croat..........
Can't give up just yet though... listening to voices in unison has always made me goose bumpy....and I would love love love to perhaps get through this initial bit and maybe be a part of that.....unless I am discovered and booted out mind you.

6 comments:

Steve said...

Stick with it... you need to give stuff like this a few weeks to settle into it. Once you've done that you'll be fine!

Trish @ Mum's Gone to... said...

I can't read music but have been singing for years. I just get the gist of whether the notes are going up or down and how long they are and do the rest by ear. It's fabulous. Keep at it, Missus - you'll be great!

Nana Go-Go said...

Mime?!lol

libby said...

Thanks for the encouragement folks...planning to stick with it for now and see what happens...

diney said...

My husband joined a choir a few months ago, and he can't read music either. He mimed the first time through a song so he could get the tune and then was able to join in, and he loves it. Go for it!

Marcheline said...

Hey Libby,

I promise (don't believe me) that I will not go through your entire blog and comment on every post... but I had to chime in here (pun alert!).

I agree with the folks telling you to stick with the singing. But I disagree that you should just fake it or hum along until you get it by ear.

My two cents: Ask someone in the choir that you feel comfortable with to teach you to read the notes on paper. It's not hard - it's only A through G! You've learned how to write using the whole alphabet - this is only a couple of letters, and it's not hard at all once you get the hang of it!

If you don't feel comfortable asking someone in the choir, most local music stores have music lessons... take a couple of voice lessons!

This isn't something you would have to devote huge amounts of time to, really. And I think it would boost your confidence in the choir immensely to be able to look at the sheet music and know what part you're following.

Give it a go! Something worth doing is worth doing right. Right? Right!

- M