Friday, August 20, 2010

Catching up.....

Well after the girls eventually became skyward we heard that Kiss had gone bust....the company their holiday was booked with....so we had an ever so slight panic at needs dusting towers...but after checking that they were ATOL/insured/credit card had been used and CAA guaranteed (?) return flights/ holiday for them we feel a bit better....but will still be glad to see them home. At least the weather there is good...it's persisting it down here.......

Have just had a lovely visit from my sister.....she lives on the south coast and came up for a few days so that we could go somewhere for a girls type shopping day with an overnight stay ..either bnb or hotel.....and we decided on Cheltenham..the hotel was too far out of town for us..but we had risked one of those 'mystery hotel deals' and it came up with the Thistle..which had a pool...only good thing really..anyhoo....Cheltenham was lovely, the sun shone and it only rained when we were inside eating and we mooched about and shopped and had a lovely day.......(and without fail every shop assistant we spoke to was pleasant, helpful and a credit to the Retail industry) but Sis had not brought a cossie with her..so just before close of play and returning to the hotel, we decided to buy a cheap swimming costume from a charity shop for her to wear in order for us to plough up and down the pool looking for all the world like professional swimmers...is that laughing I can hear at the back?.....in fact we can swim and that is all we can do..not gracefully, not quickly, not anything beautiful to look at...but we won't drown......so to get back to the point of this ramble she chose a size 12 bikini  (I know....those were the days eh?) but once we were getting togged up in the room and had already had a glass of wine she changed her mind about wearing it.....you know what's coming next don't you?....I normally wear a size 16 'cover everything' costume ......somehow, with the wine, and it being her birthday, (did I mention her birthday?), and me wanting to be liberated from worrying about my body...I wore the bikini and she had my costume......IT WAS A SIZE 12 bikini....I am a size 16 person...with white wobbly bits and peasant legs....but another slug of wine and I braved bearing it all (practically)..and although I'm sure I was not a pretty sight, I was glad to just walk up to the pool thinking 'this is me...who is even looking at me and who cares'..although after a couple of lengths I had to stop from laughing and not being able to breathe properly due to the size 12 top restricting what should come naturally.
She's gone home now and I miss her...wish we lived closer...


Today I sat at a make-up counter and had a young girl 'do up' my lips for me..........I am old and they are thin so she very kindly told me that my eyelashes were great.....' for my age'.
 I bought 'Faux' by MAC....or forks as it will always now be called.


My friend auntiegwen has had some good news about her daughter and her A level results.....and as my daughter will also be going to Uni soon  and we may need to console each other I think I need to start getting some practice in with regard to drinking heavily and not being unwell after two sniffs of the barmans apron.......

6 comments:

Trish @ Mum's Gone to... said...

What more do you need in a size 12 bikini than a good set of fluttery eyelashes!

We visited Cheltenham at Easter and had a lovely day's shopping - everyone very polite and friendly as you say,

Steve said...

Ah, great eyelashes are not to be sniffed at you know...!

libby said...

You're very sweet Trish..but to detract from my belly I think the lashes should have been drag queen long!

auntiegwen said...

I'm sure you both looked fine. Glad you went for the forks, sounds lovely. And as for wine drinking training, sign your auntie up please xxx

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Fabulous, and I snored at the Forks! I have a degree in wine drinking, I can be hired as a consultant, (she says hopefully...) x

libby said...

Steve..are you a 'tits-n-ass' chap or a 'legs-n-eyes' guy then?
Ladies...I am slowly trying to come to terms with the fact that I can no longer drink like I used to as a youngster...but will give it a try now and again as long as I have water inbetween glasses and lots of paracetamol before sleeping! Maybe shorts would be the answer??