Monday, September 15, 2014

Don't think I haven't been keeping up........

In the Autumn this blog will be 5 yrs old and I (if God spares me,,) will be 60.

Ker-rikey.

At the start of the year I was asked if I would be having a party for my 'big' birthday......and I had to compose my face and smile sweetly and say 'No'........but inside I was quietly saying 'are you mad? a party? that is so so so not me'

Party Animal I am not.
As you may have guessed.

I did decide though that in the months surrounding my 60th I would want to count my blessings and mark reaching 'a big birthday' in my own way with all the people in my life that I love, that are important to me, that would have been invited to a party if I were to have one.

So I came up with a plan.

I know that I 'compartmentalise' my friends and family and never the twain shall meet...for example my friend from school that I still see has never met my friends from other parts of my life, and my work colleagues have never met my family or friends etc., and I know this might be a strange way to operate for some people but it works for me.
To be honest at a party I imagine that the host has to spend time with everyone in equal measure and I wondered how on earth people manage to do that......my friends and family are all important to me in different ways .....so I decided that what I really wanted to do was devote some time to each person in a particular way. Ask them to be with me for either a trip or an event or a meal or a visit somewhere - share an experience (or even just a pub lunch)..... and without sounding too Golden Girls here...allow me to say thank you for being my friend....for still being in my life. ...and to that end, and having just returned from a week in Mallorca, between now and Christmas I will be visiting Lisbon, Liverpool, Paris, Leicester, Bratislava, London, Seattle and somewhere else that hasn't quite been identified yet.

So instead of a party, this year I have been saving a little money for travelling spread over some time, instead of paying for a party at a non descript venue with beige food and balloons.
One womans treasure is another gals trash so to speak.
In truth if I could I would also add to that list visits to Scotland, Oakland USA, North Wales, France, Brighton, Long Island, New Zealand, Spalding....well you get the picture....you all know where you live.
Judge me if you will....and if my plans are a little eeugh and not your cup of tea? that's ok...........each to his own.
I am excited about the coming months, yet also, given my pessimistic nature, a little scared.....I keep thinking about the 'make plans and give God a laugh' idea...........so watch this space and see if I can post a pic from each place eh?
Starting with Mallorca......

11 comments:

Cro Magnon said...

Why don't we all join you for a cyber party.... may I suggest 'fancy dress'?

Nana Go-Go said...

Well, what a nice diversion to political events going on up here I think your idea is a fabulous one and you're very lucky that you have the health, energy and finances to bring your plan to fruition. It's your party and you can travel if you want to!!I have to say though, I thoroughly enjoyed my 60th party and it was so fab to have everyone I love all under the same roof at the same time - doesn't happen nearly enough. There was certainly nothing 'beige' about it! Have fun, Libs, whatever you decide to do and if you decide to come to Scotland, let's hope you won't need a passport!!!(joke)xxx

libby said...

What would you come as Cro? and
Nana, I think your party would have been fabulous..and as I said, we are all different and enjoy different things.

John Gray said...

Crow idea s a cracking one

Cro Magnon said...

I shall come as a warm sun,-kissed, Mallorcan beach.

libby said...

A 'via the magic of t'interweb' party John? would you leave the crocs and sweat pants at home and dress up? 'cos you scrub up lovely...

Cro, our week in the sun was heavenly...but this morning the sun kissed beaches seem like a dream...

Steve said...

I would choose travelling over a party any day of the week. Go for it!

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I am also not a big lover of parties and I find my own birthdays quite depressing - life slipping away like sand in an hour glass. I admire your plans and the fact you have resisted the party idea. It's surprising that you plan to visit Leicester though!

K Ville said...

I like your plan. I too would choose it over a party.

Trish Burgess said...

I think this is a splendid idea. This year Dougie and I were both 50. We thought about parties then thought, nah, let's go to Oslo instead.
Have fun on your travels and if you end up near me, let me know xx

auntiegwen said...

I think it's a most splendid plan xxx