Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Never ignore the voice inside your head......

Last time I spoke to my 'big' sister on the 'phone she sounded just terrible.....she said she had a 'touch of flu or something'. I told her to get herself an appointment at the GP and I would drive over and take her there.
My sister, you may recall, is 63 and lives alone. She had not been eating or drinking as she felt unwell and when I saw her, my inner voice said, albeit quietly inside my head.... WTF.. Oh my goodness she is ILL...... and she looked just awful.....pale, funny colour, thin, and sad. 'I've got no energy and don't feel well....' is all she said. I got her to the GP, almost having to carry her there, and the doc said that she had a very high temperature and a raging chest infection.......we were to have some x-rays later in the week, return to the surgery a week later and she prescribed some anti-biotics and steroid tablets. I moved Sis in with Ma and Pa, as she was too ill to be alone, and I live an hour away, and all the while my inner voice was telling me to take her straight to the hospital. I am sorry to say I listened instead to the GP......we cared for her the best we could until a week later and upon taking her to the surgery the GP took one look at her and asked me if I had a car to take her straight to the Hospital. 
Which I should have bloody done in the first place if only I had listened to my inner voice.
My Sis is still in hospital over two weeks later.....it turns out she has a very weak heart and had probably had a heart attack weeks ago.
The first day there we spent 24 hrs in the 'resus' room where her heart rate was usually fluctuating between 170 and 190....which I think is not where it should be.............anyhoo....after time on a CCU she is now, as the doctor said 'between a rock and a hard place' as they try to stabilize her heart rate.....sometimes too slow and sometimes too fast......one set of tablets gave her an internal bleed and at the moment she isn't taking any anti-coagulants until they decide which is best for her.
Luckily my sister will hopefully be able to take a tablet that will help her but another set of problems is that she has 'aged' quite suddenly. She will not be able to live independently again and so will have to live in with Ma and Pa.....which is a whole other set of problems.......................................and forgive the self-centredness now but daily travels of an hour to the hospital - then Ma and Pa - then another hour home - have made me a little tired and worried and as they are both in ill health and worried about my sister, it has been a very anxious time for all of us........I haven't been at work and for the last 3 weeks have spent each day visiting the 3 of them and at one point I did feel I should just give up work (which at this point I really don't want to do...the finances are ok but would suffer if I didn't earn) and take care of the 3 of them.........I can certainly understand why in days gone by rich people had 'companions' or nurses that lived in and took care of them...................but as things seem to be getting better now and the last 3 weeks have been so very stressful, my sister came up from Kent to temporarily take over and my mister insisted that I needed a short sharp break to relax.....so we have just had a quick weekend in Warsaw....as you do........I now feel refreshed and ready to continue doing whatever I can ......on that day in the 'resus' room she looked so old and sad and ill and pathetic.....but each day now she looks little brighter........so onwards and upwards........back to the hospital today and hopefully a 'discharge' date at some point later in the week for my sis........fingers crossed.

17 comments:

John Gray said...

Oh dear
So sorry..chin up

Nota Bene said...

Warsaw is an interesting choice to relax at anytime let alone at this time of year!

Really sorry to hear about your sister, and the stress on all the family. Hope she does make a recovery and that you all find a way through the challenges

Cro Magnon said...

Very worrying for you; let's hope things improve.

Trish Burgess said...

Oh, Libby, what a worry and what a strain on you. Once things settle down a bit more, tell us all about Warsaw - love the little glimpses in your photos xx

K Ville said...

It is hard work isn't it. families are so spread out when we need to be close it becomes very hard. keep on keeping on my love x

Nana Go-Go said...

You know, I was just thinking today that we hadn't heard from you in a while and that something must be wrong. So sorry for your poor sister (and your parents). They are very fortunate to have such a caring and devoted daughter/sister to look after them. Can't you draft in more help?That's all far too much for one person to cope with. Glad you had some R&R. x

Steve said...

Sounds like you've all been through the wringer recently. Hope your sister's recovery continues.

Never doubt your instincts.

hausfrau said...

Fingers crossed things are getting better - some more help and proper rest for you are essential if you're looking after your family. You can't afford to be ill too!

Jay said...

Oh my goodness, you must be exhausted with all the driving and looking after everyone. So sorry to hear about your sister, I hope she continues on the road to recovery. Sending best wishes to you.

SmitoniusAndSonata said...

You must have all been so worried ! Good to hear that your sister is feeling a little better now .
Yes , usually one's instincts shouldn't be ignored but you did get help in time ... and , sensibly , are now looking after yourself , too .

libby said...

Thank you so much everyone...you are all very kind.

Yorkshire Pudding said...

Well done Libby ...for caring and for being there when your sister needed you. You have probably saved her life. Of course, it is well known that whenever anybody has had a family crisis they should have a short break in Warsaw... or did you mean Walsall? Tell us about it...please.

BadPenny said...

What a worry for you. I'm glad you managed a break to re charge & hope you can get some help.

auntiegwen said...

So sorry darling, chin up xxx

Marcheline said...

Wow - you are really being put through the wringer, aren't you? Sending you all the support and hugs and well wishes in the world! So glad you got away a bit - good to let the batteries recharge.

Lucy Campbell said...

Oh that's sad about your sister - so difficult with ageing parents and dealing with that on top of all other things L x

libby said...

So kind of you all to take the time to comment and send good thoughts...thank you.x