Sunday, May 19, 2013

Nicked from Cro....

If you could have (although I suspect some of you already do....you know who you are) a number of properties wherever you liked in the world, where would they be?

I think I may seem greedy here but my wish list could be quite long.

A house with land in Rutland.
A house in Northumberland.
A flat in London.
A flat in Edinburgh.
A coastal house in Wales.
A house with a pool somewhere warm.....not sure where yet.
A house in Denmark.
A house in Ireland.

I read once that someone very very rich had duplicated every item of clothing or car or book or painting or whatever that they liked and had one in each of their homes..so they just travelled between them with no luggage. I understand the idea, but it seems a bit impersonal, a bit Hotel-ish.
In reality I would like each home to be a reflection of where it was and how I felt when I was there so they would all be decorated differently. In each home I would need ......... a good bed, with space and light in all the rooms, internet access, and enough room to feel that you could breathe and walk about without sidestepping furniture or squeezing past stuff due to lack of room. And lots of cashmere throws....I don't like to be cold.
Oh dear...I wish I hadn't started this little exercise........I'm forgetting to be grateful for what I do have.
What about you? where would you have a home?



13 comments:

Nota Bene said...

Having the same stuff in all your different homes seems bizarre to me...different places, different stuff...
Now I would love to have a home in the mountainous parts of France, another in Rekjavik, one in the Bavarian mountains and another on the Spanish Mediterranean coast...not greedy at all

Steve said...

One in Wales and one in NZ would do me. I'm not greedy.

Nana Go-Go said...

The Outer Hebrides.....the sooner the better!!x

John Gray said...

A gay mans dream
Furniture arranging in 15 houses
Bliss

About Last Weekend said...

Rutland? Is that a real place? I thought that was a Jilly Cooper invention. I'd be up for a house there if contains the horsey shenanigans I've read about in her novels.

sensibilia said...

Hey Nana! We are off to the Outer Hebrides on Friday for a holiday. We love Scottish Islands, but wouldn't want to live so far away from friends and family.

My honest answer is, not where but how would I want to live. Answer -somewhere that needs no gardening or DIY. And with a study for peace and quiet.

Jay said...

A house near the beach somewhere hot, with a pool too - is that too much to ask for?!

Cro Magnon said...

Rutland could prove awkward; don't they keep doing away with it?

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I'd have a home in suburban Sheffield - with a big garden at the back. It'd be an Edwardian semi-detached and there'd be a study next to the shower room and around me there'd be all my books and maps and objects that each have memories attached. Upstairs there'd be three bedrooms and an aluminium ladder leading up to the loft where more memories and useless articles would be piled.

Kelloggs Ville said...

Are you going near the water? I think I'd pass on Rutland and go for North Northamptionshire. As nice but quieter on a Sunday afternoon!

I think ALW's comment is very funny.

I fancy a Pembrokeshire cottage maybe and an apartment in Paris.

libby said...

NB..yes I can't imagine duplicated stuff in each home. Having never been to Rekjavik I don't have an idea about a home there, but the others all have their charms.
Steve...I've always fancied NZ but have never been..one for the list.
Nana, beautiful I'm sure...but full of midges?
John...Bliss indeed!
ALW..yes it is real...and I've never read a JC book...I've heard they have saucy bits......
S...enjoy your trip.
Jay...not too much to ask for after all this is a wish list!
Cro....yep!
YP...what a sensible happy soul you are...and content.
K..never been to Paris...strange huh?..and you might be right about Northamptonshire.

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Ha Libby, it doesn't matter how big your rooms are: if you like 'stuff' you still end up stepping around and squeezing past things. Funny you should ask where else would I want to live, cos I do keep wondering if I'm sane to keep running this place of mine, but when I think of all the places I like very much, Oxford UK, Wellington NZ, I still want to be here in my Secret Garden more than anywhere else in the World.

libby said...

LMSG....there really is no place like home