Saturday, January 12, 2013

Saturday.........

Earlier today I visited an 'antiques emporium'. I was just accompanying a friend and wasn't there to buy anything, just to look around, while she picked something up. Furtling around in baskets and boxes of bric a brac and odds and sods, can be a calming and pleasing experience.
Lots of the furniture and lighting on sale there was reproduction, but there was enough old stuff to keep me happy. Although, I did get fed up of mentally thinking 'crikey, I've got one of those in the garage/why did I flog that at the car boot sale so cheaply/this is charity shop stock that would be easy to amass/charging how much for this?'
I am now resolved to fling open the garage doors in the spring and have a good clear out......I have a lot of old tat and someone must want it.

Later in the day we spent just under 3 hrs sat in the dark, mostly crying. No, not some sort of new age 'lighten the load of your soul with caring sharing and meditation' activity...........we went to the pictures and saw 'Les Miserables'. It was fabulous, and we enjoyed it immensely. I shall be humming happily for days.


11 comments:

Trish Burgess said...

Can't wait to see the new Les Mis film. I loved Hugh Jackman in Oklahoma so I imagine he's a terrific Jean Valjean.

Cro Magnon said...

Lady Magnon goes to Les Mis this week; I shall have to buy an industrial box of tissues for her.

Nana Go-Go said...

Good to know you enjoyed the film but I think I'll avoid anything which involves crying at the mo. Bad week last week with the funeral and all but onwards and upwards now. I'm really looking forward to 'Lincoln'. A bit of Daniel Day Lewis is just what I need. Have a great week, Libs.x

libby said...

Trish .. Hugh is smashing as Jean and is very easy on the eye too!
Cro....oh yes there was lots of sniffing and quiet sobbing going on..
Nana...I did think of you having such a terrible time...your friend is gone but not forgotten....Lincoln does indeed look really good. Have a better time Nana x

Macy said...

I've been told by my sixteen year old son no less, to go and see this film because it's brilliant.

Don't know if I'm more worried by the length of it, or him enjoying a musical...

Nota Bene said...

On dear...another unmanly moment when I too will burst into tears whilst watching Les Mis...I have been warned

libby said...

M...it is a long film but don't let that put you off...and leave the lad alone!
NB...take a 'kerchief!

Curry Queen said...

Nope, I'm avoiding Les Mis at all costs. The clue is in the name. According to a colleague who went to see it with his wife, "she got through two handkerchiefs and made some strange guttural noises", and that was enough to put me off.+

sensibilia said...

I'm hoping to go on Saturday, but if it snows all plans are cancelled. Sounds like you had a classic day! Junk shops and girly company at a good film- does life get much better than that"!

libby said...

CQ...sometimes a good cry is just lovely!
S...Yes it was a nice day...I'm very lucky...hope you get to see the film.

About Last Weekend said...

My friends are opening a clothing store and they need inexpensive decorations and are painting all that stuff in their garage gold (from long twigs to italianate tables) Just that - the gold paint makes it look awesome. (Not for proper antiques just for bric a brac) Just sayin' because you could sell it for sure.