Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What a difference a year makes....

Yesterday we took my daughter back to University.....this is her second year and she was moving into rented accommodation with friends. She is thrilled to be in her first 'home away from home' that is not halls of residence. The mister was not thrilled when he saw the house. He does not have his student head on when he looks at these places...he just sees the grotty paintwork and awful furniture and worn carpets....but I could'nt let him rain on her parade...she was so excited (I think the thought of the party she was going to last night and the bottle of booze she was putting in her side cabinet had something to do with that...) and we spent time moving stuff around and then putting up some fairy lights and we came away and left her to it.........but not before going to IKEA and buying her a new mattress.....the thing on the bed in her room was the most disgusting article I have ever seen and there was no way she could have slept on it.....the mister can sort it out with the landlord/agent but at least my 'baby' can sleep...when she comes in at 5 in the morning! Last year I cried as we drove away...this year I was happy to see her excited and smiling and looking forward to this coming year....she is a hard worker who gets good results and also has the happy knack of being able to balance work and fun.....I didn't cry as we drove away......what a difference a year truly does make. If you are reading this and you had the 'my son/daughter is starting Uni., vapours' just recently...don't worry....everything works out well in the end!

5 comments:

Nana Go-Go said...

~They get away with blue murder those bloody landlords - especially when it comes to getting the refund back (sorry for any good landlords reading this but it`s true!). Glad the Girl is happy.

Steve said...

It does indeed... and those grotty studo house give you an appetite for something better when you're out in the real world - no bad thing in itself.

Curry Queen said...

We are taking the boy back next weekend - also for his 2nd year and also into a rented house. Last night he told me that the boiler is in his bedroom. This does not fill me with optimism ...

hausfrau said...

Another year before we see the first one off to uni so it's good to hear it will get easier!

About Last Weekend said...

It must be so funny to go back to those student days. When I think back to our grotty old houses that we stuffed ten of us into. And now I can't stand even one dirty cup on the counter. Should loosen up and capture my studenty essence.