Sunday, February 6, 2011

Pugilism.......

I find it very difficult to be as enamoured of watching boxing as my husband is. I don't like to see men hit each other in order to hurt each other. He says I don't get it. He may be right. He says it is a sport. I find this confusing....challenging yourself to see how fast you can run or how high you can jump or how quickly you can row does make a sort of sense to me (NOT THAT I WOULD EVER BE CALLED UPON OR INCLINED TO TAKE PART IN SUCH ERRANT MADNESS) but when I have watched boxing I find it is usually from behind interlaced fingers or a cushion or newspaper and I cringe as you hear each thud and see some mothers son taking or giving a beating.

That being said - we have just been to the pictures to see The Fighter.

Great film, very enjoyable, thoroughly enjoyed it.
Still don't get it though...........

5 comments:

Steve said...

I don't get it either. Licensed, sponsored thuggery. Sport? Debatable.

St Jude said...

It's not for me either. Too brutal.

Nana Go-Go said...

Went to see The King`s Speech last night and saw the trailer for The Fighter which did indeed look very good. I am of exactly the same opinion about boxing though - licensed brutality indeed.That Mark Wahlberg`s pecs,biceps and triceps look kinda fine though!

Betty said...

I used to follow boxing keenly but no longer enjoy it because I am now a mum myself and, as you say, we are watching somebody's son being beaten to a pulp.

auntiegwen said...

Nope definitely not for me either