Monday, February 15, 2010


Excuse the poor quality of the photo (all the blogs I read seem to have amazing photographs) that you see here....
but this is a drawing that is stuck up on the inside of my wardrobe door....it is in fact a portrait of me that my lovely daughter did many years ago and now makes me smile every time I see it. I have, I admit, a terrible temper....I am what I call a 'fast, furious, shouty explosion of a temper and then...peace' person whereas my husband is a 'quiet, no argument, simmer and drag on and on and on for ever in a sulk' kind of person....perfectly suited there then are'nt we!! And when the kids were little we never thought that hitting our kids was ever an option (please don't judge me on this ...everyone has a different point of view, and smacking etc., was'nt something that I ever could countenance....) so at times our house was 'shouty and loud' or sulky but there was never any physicality.....and I know that behaviour like ours can be just as bad as a smack etc.,and tempting the fates here again, but our kids have turned out to be just the best....I know I'm biased here......and we laugh about the portrait now.....and it taught me to try and 'stop, breathe and calm down'.
Anyhoo....unhappily when my daughter did this portrait (unbidden I might say...) and then presented it to me I was saddened and shamed.....this gorgeuous little blonde thing saying 'this is what you look like when you shout'. Long story short the picture went up, to be seen daily, and it has served me well over many years....even the 'what the f..k is this all about' menopause years..
now long gone thank goodness....and reminds me every day not to be a bad tempered mum from hell.......just wish she had done something similar for her dad!!!!

2 comments:

auntiegwen said...

Hello, I must be your long lost twin, I look like that every morning before my first cup of coffee.

Although I very rarely ever lose my rag, I just look shocking in the morning !

libby said...

Oh Auntiegwen I just knew you would be a calm person....what does it take to make you lose it?.....and I am much much less shouty now..the portrait worked!..and I bet you look great in the morning...