Tuesday, August 22, 2017

A proper scraper? who needs one of those........

This is the second week of my annual 2 weeks leave from work. I am not sat on a beach sipping something cooling and tasty. I am not in far flung places. I am at home. I am stripping the wallpaper from the sitting room walls....... I know how to live don't I? and yes that is a kitchen utensil on the steps.....I can't find the proper scraper and this is doing the job very well so far. I should have started this job last week but I have had a day or two out and pootled about some so don't feel too sorry for me.  I had a day at Shrewsbury show which was delightful..I did want to buy some of this beautiful enamel ware but my house is already full of stuff I don't need and if I am ever going to retire I must be a little more frugal, although I did buy some white allium bulbs......and was entranced by this Dahlia which was my favourite flower on the day (being a little on the fickle side my 'favourites' change quite often). I visited Harrogate and Bolton Abbey (I so enjoyed walking across the river stones) and found the sight of these 'golf balls' quite something to behold. The weekend just gone was spent in Whitstable and I did some shopping in Canterbury. I have watched TV and spent some time just reading or listening to the radio while I pottered about the house practising for retirement, and found these bottles of wine lying down in the back of a cupboard that I finally got around to cleaning out...I suppose they will be vinegar by now.
I have visited lots of wood burning stove shops doing research on buying one for the room that I am working on now.....and the other week I had a lovely lunch with my blogging friend Auntiegwen.
I like not being at work. I like it very much.











10 comments:

DUTA said...

Home is the best place to rest. Retirement is a wonderful stage of life if you plan it wisely. As for your concluding sentence - I quite agree with that; I too like not being at work.

crafty cat corner said...

I used to love stripping the paper off and got the whole family doing it. There used to be the really sticky bits that we had to get a kitchen knife to and get it off bit by bit, lol
I only emulsion now but you've bought back memories of the past when I used to do all of the wall papering while Tom was at work.
Briony
x

Joanne Noragon said...

The white allium will be wonderful. So, wallpaper this week, fun last week. I hope the weather cooperated both ways.

thames_side said...

The wines look pretty good to me. I should at least give them a taste.

Cro Magnon said...

I agree with the three comments above.

Your wine should be fine, and they look to me like very good wines too!

Nana Go-Go said...

I've just spent my staycation doing the exact same thing!Two weeks wasn't long enough!I'm wondering why I'm still working at age 63 but then I have no choice really. Retirement seems like a pipedream. Hope the grandbaby is thriving.xxx

libby said...

Duta.....pootling about in your own home can be quite relaxing sometimes.
CCC....I must admit I'm probably not going to wallpaper or strip wallpaper any time soon again....I'm too old now but in the past we have always done it ourselves due to lack of funds!
Joanne....thank you...and the weather has been .....changeable....hope you are feeling better.
TS...do you think? but over the last 30 or so years they haven't been stored properly..they have been up/down/sideways etc.,
Cro...we know nothing about wine, but we bought them in France when our son was born, after asking a local if he could recommend something that our son could open when he was 21....and then we put them away and forgot about them!
Nana....we are very similar! I'm 63 in a couple of months and have no plans to finish work ...yet....my grandaughter is beautiful and thriving and has my heart x

Tom Stephenson said...

I want to visit Shrewsbury, if only to see the famous 'Grope Lane' that Weaver put me onto. I did live in Canterbury and Whitstable once though. I like the idea of not working, but only for a while - like three days a week.

libby said...

TS...never heard of 'Grope Lane'...but I have been through squeezybelly alley.

auntiegwen said...

Gorgeous photos and sounds like a lovely 2 weeks xxx