Sunday, November 1, 2015

I don't have a title......

Yesterday my Ma wanted me to drive her up to the local cemetery so that she could place some flowers on her brothers grave..it was his birthday, and she had asked me to buy some nice bright flowers for him.  It was a beautiful day yesterday in our neck of the woods, crisp, sunny, bright blue sky. On the way, and because it is very nearly my birthday, she was telling me about events she remembered from her pregnancy with me and the delivery itself and how when I was in the pram she remembered pushing me along for a walk one day when the weather had been almost the same. As we drove past a small pub she said ' I remember pushing you along on this side of the road and a lot of your fathers mates were sitting outside the pub over there drinking'. Dad at that time was in Lourdes with my big sister.  Then she said  'and they shouted over asking how he was getting on........I said all good.....he sent me a french letter ..........and they all laughed and made remarks and I was so embarrassed'. She shook her head and said 'terrible thing to be ignorant'.


6 comments:

thames_side said...

Lovely story. Of course the title "french Letter" has gone out of fashion now. In these days of political correctness everybody talks boldly about condoms. (And tampons of course). I don't suppose the younger generation even know the term.

Rachel said...

Sounds like your mother knew exactly what she was saying and a bit of harmless flirtation going on.

Nota Bene said...

Glad she can laugh about it now...that's the beauty of time isn't it?

K Ville said...

:)

Yorkshire Pudding said...

A great story with a wise moral at the end. I thought your mum was going to say..."Then I went into the pub for a few drinks and a singsong with your dad's mates, leaving you crying outside in the pram till closing time!"

Trish Burgess said...

I love hearing tales from my mum. Funny how we all remember the baby stories but it's only when we have our own children that we realise why our parents love reminiscing about the baby years - I do this with Rory now!