Monday, May 25, 2015

Let me see.............a catch up methinks..........

Our Robins are back and are putting us to shame with their energy and vocal ability.
For the past couple of weeks the pair (one slimmer and longer and one ..well...shorter and fatter..duh) have been a constant source of delight and entertainment for us from our sitting room window.
The hedge in front of the lawn is where the nest is (the same spot as last time) and this mated pair have flown from hedge to bush to lawn to car aerial to bush to lawn to hedge etc., over and over again without stopping.  They have also never been quiet...they sit jabbering away and wittering on and I would love to know what on earth they are saying.  As curious as we are about the contents of the nest, which is man high and looks to be quite deeply set into the hedge, we know that we musn't go near it.....but oh how I would love to see inside.
My sister is now settled, in a sort of way, into her retirement flat, because although it is now furnished and ready to be lived in, she only goes there every afternoon to have a cup of coffee and watch tv and then returns to ma and pa to have dinner and sleep. She has yet to spend the night in her new place, and I suspect she is not yet ready to sever the apron strings....time will tell.
She reached a milestone birthday and so my younger sister and I took her to Oxford for a long weekend..the sun shone, we drank wine, we laughed and had a smashing time....and I wore my new poncho which fits the bill perfectly if you just need a little layer of something lovely to keep out the chill.
Pa is now 88yrs young and we all enjoyed a pub lunch together to celebrate...he seemed really happy and told me it was one of his best ever birthdays....doesn't take big expensive presents to cause a smile sometimes does it?  Although he has had a new set of teeth just lately and they are giving him some gyp and a rather odd smile!
My beyoooouuuuutiful niece was 25 and my beeeeyoooooooottttiiiful daughter was 24 this month and we all managed to spend some happy times together which is always a pleasure.
My daughter was promoted at work and my son and dil now have a house! a beautiful place around the corner from us...an unexpected joy. I had to smile when they were so overjoyed that the place had a 'minton tiled hall floor and a proper pantry'! ...again it's the little things that count .... not bedroom size (good) or neighbours (as yet not met) but the old fashioned doodads they are so thrilled about.
I took my daughter to see the Andy Warhol/William Morris exhibition at the local Gallery and was suprised at how many similarities there were between the two...who knew?
This month I have been able to hang washing out in the garden which I love and I have had a new boss at work which is yet another person passing through the office.....we must have had 12/13 bosses in the last few years.....so I am sort of thinking that I may consider retiring in the next year or so...we shall see.
On Friday I went to Edgbaston again to watch the cricket with the mister and had a great time...we were like a couple of old codgers with our packed lunch and umbrella..and we couldn't have cared less.
The last month or so has been a really busy but wonderful one. I have seen friends, both real life and blog buddy ones. Spent time with family. Been to the seaside. Planned holidays. As wonderful as it has been it hasn't all been ha-ha hee-hee ....but I am choosing to just focus on the good in Life and so far it is working for me.

One of the things that really made me smile a few weeks ago.....I was sat in the car in a local supermarket carpark waiting for my sister ..... and in the car next to me was this fine creature....he (although I suppose it could have been a she..) turned once and looked at me and then resumed staring straight ahead  for quite some time.....sorry the photo isn't great but you get the idea don't you?...well I suppose you had to be there.

Fabulous profile don't you think?
x

15 comments:

About Last Weekend said...

I know, its quite eerie when a dog looks at your from another car, like they are beyond human, which they are really.
Libby, am loving this good old catch up. Lovely to hear you and your sisters had a nice weekend together, a glass of wine and time away is all you need isn't it. Like you I have two sisters and one weekend up in the bush in a really basic place, I have never laughed so much in my life.
Sounds like your kids are going so well. Can't believe your daughter is 24. That's neat that your son and wife bought a house around the corner from you! Funny, but having a pantry is probably the most important thing as you can put all that messy stuff away and leave benches clear. My Mum even puts her toaster away, like me she loved a clear bench.
Glad to hear you are getting wear out of the poncho, they are great aren't they - and you can do an arabesque type leap on the way home at night with full impunity and immunity, great for movement.

Nana Go-Go said...

Glad you're having happy times. You'd never know I had two sisters sometimes. They become so wrapped up in themselves and their families that they quite forget about our Mother - well, it's easier to let the older spinster(almost reverted back to one!)in the family take care of her because after all, she has nothing better to do!!!Trust me, there's a meet-up due any day now to discuss the very issue. Glad your boy and d-i-l are just around the corner. How lucky is that? Great to 'see' you again Libs.xxx

Nana Go-Go said...

ps I love the pic of the patient pooch awaiting the return of his/her owner.

K Ville said...

Busy busy!

Neighbour appears to be a tad hirsuit. I'm sure she was just a day away from the pre-holiday wax. Just hate having to let the hair grow for that, don't you?!

Cro Magnon said...

Anxiously waiting for his/her master/mistress no doubt.

Steve said...

That's a truly noble bow-wow.

libby said...

ALW....Oh we laughed and laughed..such good fun when sisters get on and get together.x
Nana...I'm so sorry that everything is on your shoulders...you need a break.x
K..yes it has been a busy time but great fun.x
Cro....I could have sat and looked at that smashing gal/fella for ages!x
Steve....Very Waitrose..very Kenilworth! x

Yorkshire Pudding said...

I hope that dog has passed his test. Probably waiting for his Mrs to get the dog food in. Was she a retriever?

As for the robins...
MRS ROBIN There they are again!
MR ROBIN What are they doing?
MRS ROBIN Just sitting there staring out as usual.
MR ROBIN Lazy buggers!
MRS ROBIN I wonder why they're not nesting like us.
MR ROBIN I don't think they can fly and they haven't got beaks.
MRS ROBIN What do they do all day then?
MR ROBIN See that light box in the corner.
MRS ROBIN Yeah?
MR ROBIN Well they spend hours staring at that.
MRS ROBIN Oh, a word has come up on the light box. What's it say Bob?
MR ROBIN S.P.R. .... "SPRINGWATCH"!

sensibilia said...

Ah, how lovely to have offspring so close! Maybe you'll be knitting bootees sometime in the not too distant future!

Trish Burgess said...

This is a super catch up - you sound very content. So good to hear about your son living nearby and the happy birthday pub lunch for your dad. Isn't it funny when youngsters start to appreciate housey things! My son and his girlfriend have found a new place for their second year at Uni - it's unfurnished so they are discovering the delights of hunting for furniture (they seem far too young to be doing this!)

libby said...

YP...we thought the same thing! and now the birds have disappeared..x
S..well that delicious thought had crossed my mind!x
Trish...Content but cautious...there is always fear of the when is the boot going to fall kind....and Rory seems quite content too! x

auntiegwen said...

Luffly to see you and the mister xxx and only you and I could be snubbed by a dog!

libby said...

AG....I know!..speak soon..xx

Pam (Isabelle) said...

Oh, how I envy you having your son so close.

Life is full of things, isn't it? Never stops. Until it... stops, I suppose. At least that'll be restful.

Nota Bene said...

That's quite a catch up...birthdays are always good, whatever the age! Robins have just been voted the most popular bird in the UK...they are great to have in the garden aren't they?