Thursday, January 3, 2013

Well if you want my advice.....

In the car, have you ever heard yourself say to your passenger, as you buckle up your seatbelt and adjust your rearview mirror 'ooh take your coat off or you'll never feel the benefit when you get out'?............no? just me then......how 'old lady' that makes me feel.
Advice, well meant when given from others to me or just 'old lady mad' when I have tried to give it, has figured regularly in my life, and just recently, I did wonder about which bits I should have paid attention to.
Mostly, advice is well intentioned, and is, I like to think, someone showing that they care enough about another to try and give guidance........not nagging.....or interfering.....no never that. 
When I had my first child, someone told me that I should 'save the child benefit every month in a bank account for your son, and then you will have a lovely little lump sum to give him when he needs it later in life'.
I truly wish I had listened to this, but we were young, had no money to speak of, and the child benefit quite often helped pay a bill or buy groceries, or put petrol in the car. 
The advice was good but I ignored it.
At Grammar School, my headmaster told me, 'stay on here into the 6th form and go to University'.
Again the advice was good and I ignored it.
From my ma telling me that I should 'wear a vest/stop picking at it/not try to perm my hair at home/not go out with such and such.....so and so is a much nicer lad' to me telling my daughter 'but that skirt looks better/spend a bit more time in the library/you're wasting your money on such and such' the advice wagon keeps on rolling.........
I remember 'if in doubt, leave it out' which covers a multitude of things, but with regards to buying stuff  serves me well quite often, and I do try to remember 'If you can't think of something good to say about someone don't say anything', also 'location is all, better the worst house on the best street' and 'always have a good bed, and a good pair of shoes...if you are not in one you're in the other', along with  'worry is a futile thing...it is like a wooden horse, you can ride it all night long and get no further forward '.....True true so very true.
Good advice, bad advice, listening to it, ignoring it........we navigate through life thinking or hoping we are making the right choices, and who knows? maybe we do......... 





13 comments:

Macy said...

WHY did no one tell me to get the worst house on the best street?? Such good advice!

Kelloggs Ville said...

I think I stumble through life making dreadful choices and woefully wishing I could even remember part of the good advice people offered and I totally let wash over me. I clearly didn't even bother to listen in order to ignore. And I still haven't learnt my lesson. So if you want my advice......take some advice but not my advice!!!

Cro Magnon said...

My late mother was very positive (I like to think I am too). She used to say 'everything happens for the better'. I always think of that when something goes wrong; and she's usually right.

auntiegwen said...

My mother always says "Whats fur ye will no go by ye" meaning if it's meant to be, it's meant to be. That used to drive me up the wall when I was impatiently trying to move things along

Steve said...

Sometimes whether it is good advice or bad advice is irrelevant - sometimes people just need to learn from their own mistakes.

libby said...

Macy...your new house has amazing views..we need more pictures!
K..you have done very well given all that stumbling through...and your advice is good advice.
Cro...positivity and optimism do emanate from your blog..they serve you well....I do wish I was more that way.
AG..ah bless your ma!
Steve...such wise words young man!

Marcheline said...

It always seems like the people with the most unsolicited advice to give never heed it themselves... like the cobbler's children going barefoot.

Nota Bene said...

Good advice is always, but always the advice you can look back on and see it's wisdom..

libby said...

M..yes indeed.
NB....ah yes wishing for the wisdom at the time is all.

Isabelle said...

Ah, who knows really?

Happy New Year, anyway.

Trish Burgess said...

These are great, Libby, took me back to my own childhood. We had a nun who used to say, 'If a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing well' and I think I like that. I must have been a bit of a goody-goody as I can't really remember ignoring advice that was given to me. Little Miss Sensible!!

libby said...

Thanks Isabelle. Happy new year to you too.

Curry Queen said...

Best advice I was ever given was "choose your fights". It's served me very well!