Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Youth is wasted etc.,.......

Busy day at work.
Tired.
Grey cold wet weather.
Back home to an empty house.
What will make me feel better?
Decide to put the lamps on, close the curtains, make the house feel lived in and then have dinner.
A big, and yes it was quite big.....a very generous portion, of roasted vegetables and vegetarian sausage.
Followed by 2.........ok 3..... slices of very tasty home made pecan syrup cake, made and gifted to me by a friend.....who knows how much I love cake.
One pot of tea later and I feel like I'm welded to the couch by my huge arse, with a sort of 'I think I've eaten a house brick' in the belly feeling.
On the TV is Tyra Banks and ANTM...if you have a teenage daughter you may be familiar with this televisual fluff.
I cannot stop watching.......thin young girls with cheekbones and energy posing away.........all being photographed by a GORGEOUS Italian photographer (Francesco Carozzini.....no I'd never heard of him before either) and it made me think how very true it is that most young women have terrible doubts and anxieties about their bodies and their appearance, and it matters not a jot if your mother tells you how beautiful you are, you just grr and growl and don't hold your shoulders back and wear baggy clothes and always feel ugly.........then, when you are a lardy old lady like me you look at pictures of yourself from your teenage years and think 'woah...I wasn't so bad back then!'..........wish I'd listened to my mum........

7 comments:

Kelloggsville said...

very true, those young girls just don't...well....sag!! lol

libby said...

K....but you are thin, taut and fabulous! have you seen your photos??

sensibilia said...

Yes, but I love the sound of that cake! Youth can't eat cake without terrible pangs of guilt - this is one of the pleasures of being older !

Trish @ Mums Gone To... said...

I think as you get older it's good to be a bit chubbier as the wrinkles are less noticeable?? I suppose you've got to pick one or the other. You got any of that cake left?

libby said...

Sensibilia.....yes there are pleasures being older....and this cake was new to me too and is deeeeeelicious!
Trish.....good point......and I have the recipe, but cake left? y'mean cake that I haven't wolfed down like a ravenous beast??? that would be a no....no cake left.....sob.....

About Last Weekend said...

That is so funny, I've been saying the same thing to my younger friends ( who are 40). I keep saying enjoy what you've got because its all slipped by the time you're my age. I used to be okay about my knees, now i'm covering them up.

Lottie said...

So true....my daughter should have a good idea what's waiting for her though...I keep reminding her that one day she'll have a stomach like mine although hopefully hers won't reach her knees...