Tuesday, November 8, 2011

She's leaving home......

Well technically, she is just going back to University, but my daughter has been home for the weekend.
She is going back today and I always feel a little bit ..... soppy?......y'know, want to hug her more times than I normally would (mom, I love you too but I'm trying to drink my tea..........) for a little while on the day she goes back. Once back to our respective routines, I am glad she is loving her life and being a normal 20 yr old, and I am off on another happy wanderer few days away with the mister tomorrow, so will be touristy and exploring again.
While she was here she did pretty well on the laying around with a snuggly blanket, playing with the cats and eating and drinking, and also did pretty well on the treats front, with a new coat and some money from her grandparents, some new shoes and tights from me, and her pa is going to take her to Asda to stock up, which doesn't always include just the student essentials like pasta, vegetables, tea and coffee etc., but he tends to throw in sweets/drink and fancy bits.........not sure he should be stocking her up with hard liquer but as he says better that than crack cocaine!
I would like to put a picture of her here, because she is beautiful, tall, blonde, with gorgeous skin and a wonderful smile, but respecting privacy I will put two other pictures here.... the birthday present she leaves me with.........two musicals and chocolate.. my girl knows me so well!! and the picture she took of me writing my name with a sparkler on my birthday.............


These years are the 'bridge' years for her now. My son graduated and lived at home for a short while and then moved in with his lovely girlfriend. They came to lunch over the weekend and are always welcome visitors, and their flat is now their 'home'. My daughter is living in rented accommodation with mates and will probably move to London when she graduates, so sometime in the next few years this house will cease to be her home.
This is good, it is as it should be, the normal way, and yet I want them both to know that there will always be hot water/cats to fuss/food in the fridge/money in small doses/clean beds and me and the mister, here, at what I still consider to be 'their home'.
See...soppy.............yep that's me.

15 comments:

Andy said...

Belated happy birthday! Sorry I missed it....

They'll always know they can rely on you and the mister.

Marcheline said...

And that is as it should be, as well... 8-)

Trish @ Mum's Gone To ... said...

It is as it should be but, oh, it does make me feel a bit teary.

Can I come round and watch the musicals with you? I'd like that.

libby said...

Andy, thank you, on both points.
Marcheline, yes, you are right, but I'm still a bit eeeugghhh today.
Trish, of course, you would be more than welcome..Molly or Dolly first?

Steve said...

Soppy? Nah. Just a lovely mum.

libby said...

Steve...blessed is what I am Steve..blessed.

Mrs Worthington said...

That is a love blog with luverly sentiment. You sound like a fab mum

Lady Mondegreen's Secret Garden said...

Happy Birthday you Sparkler you.
I used to worry about putting my daughters' photos on my blog, till I realised the older one is constantly posting outrageous pics on Facebook. Anything you post here is likely to be in good taste, isn't it?

Kelloggsville said...

ohhh Hello Dolly is my absolute favourite....and this made me very sad thinking about what is to come

hausfrau said...

Despite not living there very long my parents home is still mine, and I always feel welcome. I trust my girls will feel the same when the time comes, and I'm sure your children think of your home as theirs too! I suspect this is actually a mixed blessing: reversion to childhood roles anyone?

auntiegwen said...

Bugger - have we missed your birthday? please let me know when you are free for a lunch and a pressie, much love from your bad friend xxxxx

Curry Queen said...

I feel exactly the same about mine!

About Last Weekend said...

Oh she sounds so lovely! If my daughter turns out half so nice, my job here will be done. I'm always the teary mum too when she goes...she's the independent one, always...

sensibilia said...

You sound an ideal mum. I am six years ahead of you and still feel just the same. Last weekend the tables were turned - my 26 year old invited me to HER home and made me feel welcome and we relaxed together eating, drinking and watching TV!

libby said...

Mrs W..thank you but I suspect my 'mum qualifications' may be lacking in certain areas just like everybody else so like everybody else I read in blogland, we all just do our best and hope it all works out in the end..counting our blessings along the way.
LMSG..Thank you and yes I am good taste personified dont'cha know! but I don't do facebook so haven't seen what she may or may not post there!! Good thing maybe eh?
K..oh please don't get sad thinking about the future and COG going to Uni., just concentrate on today and get your hugs in while you can..and join me and Trish in a 'Dolly' fest!
Hausfrau.....your family sounds lovely, you must all be doing something right.
AG...remember when we first met? said we would be friends forever? well I don't need pressies and you are not a bad friend....to me you are a very special friend that I always want to have in my life xxx
CQ...'cos you're a good mom and have love in your life..blessed is what we are guv'nor!
ALW...thank you so much and it is not all my doing but I am going to allow myself some showing off here and say that yes, she IS lovely....in so many many ways and she makes my heart swell and I am so proud of her.....as a mum y'know that feeling don't you?
Sensibilia...Ideal? gosh such a big word...but as I said to Mrs W..we are blessed if we have children in our lives and you obviously did all the right things if you get invited into her home ...your weekend sounds great.